Tuesday, November 3, 2015

White Pelicans, an Original Oil Painting by Jimmie Bartlett


White Pelicans is an oil painting on a 36 by 30 inch gallery wrap canvas with edges painted black.

I have been working on these guys for several months, as time permitted, because of our full show schedule.  The setting for the painting is on Matagorda Beach where hundreds of white pelicans and a large variety of sea birds were enjoying a sunny winter day. In this painting, there were so many small birds following the pelicans around it looked confusing, so I chose three pelicans and included enough sea birds to make it more interesting.

The bright whites of the birds and pelicans created some over exposures on my reference phots, but I was able to compensate with off white mixes using a variety of colors and earth tones.  Gulls are much easier to paint as they really deal more with the gray scale ie light to dark blacks.  I prefer to use paynes grey instead of black.

The original is for sale.  Giclee fine art prints on canvas and archival paper are available.  Contact me for information on limited edition prints of White Pelicans.

I hope you enjoy the painting and have a blessed day.

Jimmie@TheBartlettPair.com




No comments: