Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pelican Swim

If you follow my blog, you already know I love to paint pelicans.  They are such an interesting bird.  This guy is on a 14x18 canvas and done in oils with brush and knife work.  I used the knife to put in the foreground rocks.   I like the texture it gives and makes the subject stand out so well.  I wasn't going to put in the wildflowers that were there, but had a second thought how more color would make the painting more interesting.  The pelican was swimming in the waterway at the Matagorda, TX harbour when I got this photo to use for reference.  The painting is still wet and I may do some tweeking on it after it is dry.  Maybe not?

I have another painting in progress of a sunrise over Lavaca Bay with an oyster boat and crew already hard at work.  To get the good photos to paint from, sometimes we have to get up real early.  I have several photos from that morning in the clip to paint.

Let us pray before we paint,
Jimmie@jimmiesart.com  

No comments: