Friday, February 13, 2015

Yellow Crowned Night Heron Painting


Yellow Crowned Night Heron painting is done in acrylics on a 14 x 14 inch gallery wrapped canvas.  This is one of those I finished (2009) but wasn't quite satisfied with it.  I have a spot high up in the studio where I hang paintings to be revisited.  Usually I get back to unfinished works within a few months.  Here it is five years later and I got out the ladder and put a little more paint on him.  I worked on the body feathers to build more contrast.  His head is the only place on the little guy that has color.  There is not much detail in the crayfish he was eating as he had already crunched it.  He was standing in carpet grass while fishing so I put some water behind him to make the painting a little more interesting.  Yellow Crowned Night Herons are plentiful here in the Texas coastal area.  They fish in swampy areas, ditches, ponds, and salt water marshes.  They make nests of sticks in trees and bushes.

I hope you enjoy the painting and the story.

God Bless You,
jimmie@jimmiesart.com

www.thebartlettpair

No comments: