Friday, September 28, 2012

Second Butterfly Painting in Progress

 For this 11x14 inch oil painting, I have a great picture reference to work from.  Thanks to Janet for the picture.

This post follows the work I talked about in the last post.  I blocked in the black areas and a quick impression of the foliage.  For the foliage, I used sap green, yellow light, white, and some of the black to mix for shady green.
 Amazing how adding the sky background adds so much to the painting.  This was a mix of cerelean blue tinted with titanium white.  I used a small flat brush to block in the sky next to busy spots and a larger flat to cover the rest of the canvas including the edges.
Here the painting is shown with the completed sky hanging from a short wire I put on it for easier handling while it is wet.

The next step will be to add the beautiful color to the wings and body.  I could have done more to this one today, but had a broken chainsaw that also needed fixing.

The other butterfly painting will be more of a challenge as the background has beautiful flowers for him to feed on.  I will work on him tomorrow.  Your comments are welcome.

Let us pray before we paint,
jimmie@jimmiesart.com




No comments: