Thursday, March 17, 2011

Roseate Spoonbills

Roseate Spoonbills, Oil Painting, 18x14 Inch Gallery Canvas
The Spoonbills are done.  Whoopee!  These guys took longer than I expected.  I always see something to touch up after I shoot pictures of the painting.  I went back and forth a couple of times fixing things just a little bit more.  When it gets to that point, I usually call it finished for time being and let it dry in the studio where I can look at it and after a period of time call it final or, work on it some more.  When the oils dry, I will paint the edges of the canvas with acrylics (they dry fast) so the painting can be hung without a frame.

This painting didn't take much for a palette: white, prussian blue, van dyke brown, paynes gray, permanent rose, and a tad of black.  I used large brushes for the rough in: filberts for the birds and reflections, and flats for blocking in the background water.  For the details I used smaller brushes as necessary.  I varied from the reference photo for the color of the water and put in some extra shadowing for the birds as the photo was taken during the bright of the day and a lot of color had been blasted out.  I hope you like the painting and the art tidbits.

Let us pray before we paint,


1 comment:

Vernita Hoyt said...

Ooh WOW! These guys are superb!