Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Valentine's Day Rose

I finished the rose project I posted earlier as a work in progress.  The oil painting was challenging due to the many gradients and reflections in the vase.  The rose is a knockout rose from my wife's garden.  They are pretty hardy little plants and we haven't had a hard freeze here in South Texas yet, so we are still blessed with a few blooms.  The rose stayed fresh inside the studio for several days after the still setting shoot and was also available for reference while painting.  The painting is on a 10 x 20 inch canvas.  The palette:  Permanent Rose, Aliz. Crim., Cad Red, Perm. Grn Lt., Sap Grn, Burnt Siena, Burnt Umber, Van Dyke Brown, Deep Orange, Yellow Ochre, Raw Siena,White and a bit of cad yellow.  And, I may have forgot some.  LOL I will paint the edges of the canvas with burnt umber acylics  and build a floater frame to mount it in when the canvas dries.  I hope to get it all done for valentine's day.  I had a good time painting this one.

Let us pray before we paint,
Jimmie@jimmiesart.com



No comments: