Friday, July 30, 2010

Diamondhead Lighthouse, Hawaii Original Oil Painting


This is the lighthouse on Diamondhead volcano in Ohau, Hawaii.  This is an alla prima oil painting on a 8x6 inch archival canvas board.

The inspiration for this painting goes back to my navy days during which we were living in Eva Beach, Ohau.  On one of our exploring trips we went to Diamondhead and took the picture with a cheap box film camera.  I remember having to climb down the side of the valcano to get a good shot of it. The lighthouse turned out very small.  Had no zoom lens.  Well, a young sailor couldn't have afforded one anyway.  Anyway, I first painted the lighthouse in 1974 and still have it today as one of those to look at.  We ran across the photo last week and it had faded a lot.  I scanned it into photoshop to enlarge it enough to work with and used it as reference for this painting.   After I finished painting the lighthouse, I looked it up on the internet and found a lot of information is available about the lighthouses in Hawaii.  I was happy with my work on the painting after looking at the other photos of it on the net.  For the distance away from the lighthouse the old camera picked up enough detail to paint from.  I painted what I saw in light, form, and shadow taking some artistic license with it and I think it came out pretty good.  What do you think?  If you would like to purchase this painting email jimmie@jimmiesart.com .

Let us pray before we paint,
Jimmie

No comments: